Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quotes from the drivers of the #85

Wolf Henzler: (on qualifying) "I left the pits and then I had a big vibration in the car. It was too risky, so I pitted immediately. The crew couldn't find anything, so I said I would go out again and I would do only one timed lap. I did 1:50.1, then I heard on the radio that Andy Lally [in another Porsche] was doing 49.5 and I knew I could go quicker. So I decided to do another lap. Even with the vibration, it was better and the more laps I did, the quicker I went. The crew did a good job and prepared the car very well."

Daniel Graeff: "It's the most unbelievable challenge I've ever experienced – emotionally, physically and mentally. I love it! We brought the car home, but we left a little bit on the table this year. I'm headed back here next year and we're going to get it as a team."

Richard Campollo: (after bringing the No. 85 across the finish line after a 2.5 hour stint behind the wheel) "I'd like to thank fourth gear in my gearbox." The No. 85 lost the clutch and 5th & 6th gear at hour 21 but was still able to finish the race thanks to Richard's skill and hard work.

Michael Gomez: (on driving the No. 85 for CTF) "As a child psychiatrist, I have assisted children who have struggled with genetic disorders, including Neurofibromatosis. When I learned of the opportunity to increase awareness for the Children's Tumor Foundation via my avocational passion of auto racing, my support was without hesitation or reservation."

Ron Yarab: (on driving the No. 85 for CTF) “Driving for the Children’s Tumor Foundation offers a unique opportunity to combine my two passions, medicine and racing for the benefit of neurofibromatosis. An added bonus will be to see the kids in the garage at Daytona. I can’t wait to see the look of wonderment in their faces when they see and touch the race car. I just wish I could channel all that energy!”

Driver Thoughts on the Rolex 24 At Daytona:

Michael Gomez: "The Rolex 24 At Daytona continues to be one of the most exhilarating and challenging experiences of my life. The only personal comparison I can make is the combined mental exhaustion of being up all night on call as a doctor, the physical exhaustion of running a marathon and the adrenaline rush of sky diving. And I wouldn't have it any other way..."

Daniel Graeff: "Since I was a boy, I've dreamed of this place, these cars and this race. For some, it's conquering Everest or the Tour de France, but for a racer this is the pinnacle. A hallowed place that has tested individual and machine and sought out greatness. I am awed, honored and blessed to be here where giants have walked. There is nothing, nothing more challenging to the core than running this race, with and against these great drivers and these great teams."

Ron Yarab: “Winning the 24 hours of Daytona is like climbing Everest, except there are 50 other guys out there ready to push you off the next ledge you come to.”

Richard Campollo: "Esto va ser una locura!"

No comments: